Continuing the celebration of summer, the other day we headed to our first County Fair of the year. The San Diego County fair is a great venue to check out if you are in San Diego during it’s run. The fair is held at the lovely Del Mar Fairgrounds and offers fun for the entire family.
I have visited many fairs in my lifetime, and here are my tips to organizing a great trip to the fair:
- Download and print a map of the fair before you go and highlight the areas you want to visit.
- Look for coupons for the fair you want to attend. Just about every fair has a discount coupon somewhere.
- Review the fair schedule for special events you or family members might be interested in seeing. Many activities are only on selected days.
- Plan to arrive early. Parking can take up precious fair time and the fair is least crowded when it first opens.
- Try to attend during the weekdays to avoid weekend crowds.
- Dress kids in bright clothing and keep an eye on your kids. There are lots of distractions at the fair.
- Bring water bottles and snacks. Fair food, though tasty, is invariably expensive.
- Wear sunscreen and hats to avoid too much sun exposure.
- Wear comfortable close-toed shoes and dress in layers. Bring jackets if planning to stay until the evening.
- Bring some antibiotic lotion and a few bandaids. Sometimes the first aid area can be hard to get to for minor scrapes.
- Take breaks and listen to a concert or enjoy a snack for some downtime.
My personal highlights include the livestock exhibits,
The home and hobby exhibits. These are all the homemade jams in the competition.
The carnival section, where I won a stuffed elephant!
And of course, the fair food.
This funnel cake is 1/2 cinnamon sugar and 1/2 powdered sugar. It was 100% delicious!
This fair is an early fair that has come and gone, so be sure to bookmark for next year if you are planning a trip to San Diego. I will be attending another local fair soon. Do you go to county fairs during the summer? Which ones will you attend?