One of the things I have found that helps me stay productive is maintaining a clean and neat work surface. When I sit at my desk If I see paper piles stacked on my desk, I tend to get a little anxious.
I want to share a few tips with you on how I maintain my home office. I recently had the opportunity to review some beautiful acrylic office accessories from Staples, so you will see how I use them here.
- Create files for projects that you are currently working on. If they are a priority, keep them in reach on top of your desk. If they are not needed at the moment, keep them in a file box or drawer.
- Only handle one paper at a time. If you try to multitask, you will end up with piles of paper all over and you may get a bit anxious as they all compete for your attention.
- Keep a minimum of items on your desk so that you can work productively. I keep notepads, pens, to do lists and sticky notes all close by.
- Create folders online and ask yourself if you really need to print out that email. If you can work with it online, it is one less paper on your desk.
- If you receive hard copy items, consider scanning and tossing out the paper copy so that you have fewer papers.
- Do not keep papers around any longer than they need to be. If they are needed for taxes or business purposes, by all means, save them in a filing cabinet or box. But if you are keeping it because one day you may want the information on it. Scan it and save it online.
- Keep your essential organizing tools close by so you have easy access to what you need.
This is my home office desk. I love the clean look of acrylics because it is clean and stylish. It makes me WANT to be there.