This weekend we had another fun craft day that we spent decorating birdhouses. I found these cute houses for about a dollar each at my craft store.
If you can't get to the dollar store, you can get these items easily online - just check out my products list below. These also make nice gift ideas and certainly brighten up any space.
These are fun to decorate and the ideas are truly endless.
We used a variety of scrapbook paper and washi tape to decorate these. I had seen some cute ones on Pinterest and thought that they would look so cute for a Mother's Day tablescape or tea party to celebrate the season!
My mother made a really cute bird house display on her mantel.
We had so much fun making these and I do not know about you, but I am a huge washi tape fan. The unfinished wooden birdhouses are so much fun to decorate any time of year.
Decorating Bird Houses - Supply List
- wooden bird houses
- exacto knife
- washi tape
- scrapbook paper
- acrylic paint
- paint brushes
1. Paint houses with acrylic paint and let dry completely. No need to paint the entire house, just the areas you wish.
2. Measure sides and roof of the house that is not painted and cut scrapbook paper or use washi tape. Washi tape is easier to use and looks just as cute! Use the Exacto knife to help trim as necessary if using scrapbook paper. If children are going to do this craft I recommend using washi tape only. It works great!
3. You can decorate with ribbon and sequins if you want as well. The ideas are truly endless.
4. Let dry completely before handling.
My mom has an actual craft room in her home, (it is my old bedroom - so fitting!), so I often take my supplies to her house when we have our weekly craft day. I just had to share my cute little Creative Options® Two-Tray Craft Box carryall that I received from Creative Options!
I just love all of the optional compartments and how portable it is! It has two cantilever trays containing 13-24 adjustable compartments along with a deep storage. I first saw this at CHA where it was nominated for CHA's 2016 Hot Product of the year!
Remember you can really have fun with these Bird House Ideas For Decorating
- Summer Beach Houses
- Patriotic Houses
- Spooky Halloween Houses
- Christmas Gingerbread Houses
- Candy Houses
- Sports Houses
- Themed colored houses - sports teams or room colors
- Retro Houses
What did you do this weekend?
It's awesome! This is one of the first crafts Scarlet and Cassidy ever did together - painting a birdhouse. And now we get so many birds and we need more birdhouses! Time to paint.
Awwwww! How fun that they did that together! What a great father-daughter project!
These are so cute. I think I will do this my boys this weekend.
Thank you Ruth! They were fun to make!
What a fun project! I like that it's another excuse to buy washi tape. Also, that craft box is awesome 🙂
Washi tape is so much fun isn't it? Thanks Ashley!