Old Fashioned Hummingbird Cake Recipe
This easy Old Fashioned Hummingbird Cake recipe is a wonderful southern classic made with pineapple, pecans and cream cheese frosting.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 20 oz can crushed pineapple
- ½ cup crushed pecans optional
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 stick butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ½ cups crushed pecans to coat the cake
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prep two 9” round cake pans by spraying with non stick cooking spray and dusting lightly with flour.
In a large mixing bowl or in the bowl of a stand mixer, add flour, sugar, baking soda and blend on low speed until well combined.
Blend in eggs, vanilla, crushed pineapple and pecans (optional) into the flour mixture until mixed completely.
Divide the cake batter evenly between the prepared pans,
Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow the cakes to cool to room temperature before frosting.
Blend cream cheese and butter on high speed until it begins to thicken. Reduce the speed and add in the powdered sugar and vanilla, blend well.
Once cakes have completely cooled, add frosting between the top and bottom cake layers and then frost the entire cake with remaining frosting.
Sprinkle crushed pecans over entire cake, pressing some of the pecans gently along side of the cake to until completely covered.
- I like to crush the pecans the day before for easy prep.
- After cooling cake in the pans for 15-20 minutes. Remove from pan and let continue to cool on a wire rack.
- You can make this cake in a bundt pan instead of two round cake pans but baking time will increase to around an hour. Check with a toothpick for doneness.
Calories: 361kcal | Carbohydrates: 70g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 46mg | Sodium: 163mg | Potassium: 59mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 54g | Vitamin A: 293IU | Calcium: 26mg | Iron: 1mg