Throughout the years, there have been many times when something I planned on does not go quite right. One year, our family spent a week on a trip to Hawaii and all but one of us got miserably sick during that trip. We still managed to have some fun, but we were rarely all together since at least one of us was sick.
Most recently, I had a day off from my day job and planned to write some blog posts. That morning, Bluehost had a huge outage and my site, like many, were down for a few hours that morning. I was really disheartened and frustrated, at first.
I have found that, for me, if I go through the following steps, I can overcome the disappointment a little easier. It can be devestating and unproductive when our best made plans fail.
1. Trust – I trust that if something does not go as planned then, there is a reason it did not. Maybe it was a lesson I needed or a test of patience.
2. Breathe – Getting out of the situation for a bit or getting out of the house for some fresh air helps put it all in perspective. Being outdoors allows me to clear my head and think about next steps.
3. Count Blessings – I switch gears and try to look at the positive side of things. Things could always be worst and sometimes it is easy to forget that when we are inconvenienced.
4. Acceptance – I accept the less than favorable outcome and move on. I have had time to contemplate what has happened (or not happened) and I tell myself I must carry on. Why spend more energy on something that I cannot change? It is time to move on.
5. Act – I do something I have control over. I pour my energy into something positive. Being flexible in these situations is so key. Maybe another trip? Coffee with a friend? Emailing someone who will understand? It especially helps me to do something for somebody else. There is nothing like the positive spirit of helping someone who motivates me!
Has anything not gone as planned for you lately? How do you react?