At this time of year, if you’re like me you are contemplating your blessings, preparing for Thanksgiving, and probably making tons of lists of things to do, make and buy for the holidays. Sooooooo many things right?
Things Not To Do On Thanksgiving
- Don’t stress about Thanksgiving dinner – if you’re hosting a gathering, make it a potluck. Keep your table decorations, kids activities and your dinner menu simple. It is ok if you do not make everything from scratch. Pies bought from a local restaurant or market are ok.
- Don’t wait until the last minute to pull it all together. Your event will go much better with a plan. Plan your menu and guest list early. Shop early and make a preparation time-table so that timing syncs with your serving time.
- Don’t forget to take photos of the dinner and your guests. It’s really fun to look back at photos. Make sure you are in a photo or two as well, because the kids are going to enjoy these photos later. Take photos of any decorations the kids make when they are little. This is a great task to delegate to the kids, they love being photographers.
- Don’t try to do it all yourself. Ask your family to help with the housecleaning or if you can, hire a house cleaner to help you prepare for the holidays. Recruit the kids to help with setting the table and washing the vegetables. They can also help with organizing a game to play after dinner.
- Don’t stay up late the night before because more than likely, you will be exhausted the day of the event. With a little advanced planning, you can enjoy the holiday just like a guest.
- Don’t overeat on Thanksgiving. Yes it’s a date to taste many wonderful foods, but you will feel better that evening and the next day if you eat smaller portions and maybe even get some exercise after dinner. Better yet, your guests to go for a neighborhood walk after the big meal.
- Don’t go holiday shopping. I have friends who have done this, and the lines and crowds are crazy. I can’t even imagine doing that after preparing a big meal. I have heard some people say they some great deals via online shopping, but I have never done it.