This One-pot Chicken and Rice is a very easy chicken recipe and is perfect for dinner any night of the week. With just a few ingredients and about 30 minutes, you can have the most delicious chicken dinner ready to serve. This tasty chicken recipe is one you will want to keep in your recipe file for a meal the whole family will love!
This one pot meal is one of those easy dinners you will make again and again. Be sure to check out my time-saving tips after the recipe!
Hello Friends! I hope this week finds you enjoying the season and finding time to relax and reflect. We tend to fill our schedule more than we should and so many people feel like they do not have enough time for things. That was one of the reasons I started this blog and today, I am sharing an easy chicken recipe for those days when you just want a quick dinner on the table so that you can enjoy the evening.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
This easy One Pot Chicken and rice is one of the easiest chicken skillet recipes to make and is perfect when you need a quick dinner recipe.
All you need is to grill some chicken breasts (or skinless chicken thighs work too) and a few simple ingredients.
This meal is a family favorite in our house and it is very economical to make too!
This easy chicken recipe is less mess to clean up.
I love that this easy chicken and rice dinner is made in just one pan! I make the chicken and the rice all using the same pan.
It's a delicious skillet chicken and rice supper or lunch idea.
Ingredients for Easy One-Pot Chicken Rice Casserole
- chicken - you can use boneless skinless chicken breasts or bone-in chicken breasts.
- rice - use your favorite good quality rice.
- chicken broth or chicken stock
- black beans
- green chilis
- taco seasoning
Equipment and Tools
- large skillet with lid
- slotted spoon
- measuring spoons
Pro Tips and Timesaver Shortcuts
- This is one of those easy weeknight meals and comes together pretty quickly. If you want to save time, you can prepare the garlic and onion and cilantro the evening before and have them all in a small sealed bag or container ready to go.
- You can use rotisserie chicken for this as well. Take cooked rotisserie chicken and slice it. Toss with taco seasoning and add to rice mixture in step # 10.
Variations, Notes, and Substitutions
- This is a great recipe to add your own flair. You can add a few chopped jalapenos to spice this up a notch,
- You can also use 4 smaller chicken breasts or even breast tenders. I say go with whatever is on sale at your grocery store
- You can use a chicken bouillon cube and water in place of the chicken stock.
- I have not tried this recipe with brown rice, so if you try it let me know if it works.
Serving and Storage Suggestions
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and a lime wedge. You can even add some chopped green onions or a little pico de gallo.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container. I like to use freezer-safe plastic bags and then I have a meal that is ready to go,
- Serve in bowls and warm in the microwave for a fun lunch idea the next day.
More Easy Chicken Dinner Recipes
Taco Pasta with Ground Beef -This One Pot Taco Pasta with Ground Beef comes together quickly in a single skillet!
One-Pot Beef Pasta – A delicious pasta recipe with ground beef and vegetables made in a single pan.
- Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas - Flavorful chicken that is perfect for tacos and burritos.
- Instant Pot Chicken Casserole - A delicious chicken dinner made with broccoli florets and sliced mushrooms in your instant pot.
- Chicken Bacon Gouda Pasta – Chicken, bacon, cheese, and pasta come together for a wonderfully flavorful, comforting dinner idea. chicken in a skillet
One Pot Chicken Rice Taco Casserole
One Pot Chicken and Cilantro Rice
- 3 large boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or olive oil
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 2 ¾ cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup black beans, drained
- 1 cup white rice, uncooked
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (4.5 oz) can chopped green chilis
- ½ juice one lime
- Place taco seasoning in a plastic storage or brown paper bag.
- Wash chicken breasts and place in plastic bag one at a time to coat.
- Heat oil in a skillet on medium heat.
- Brown coated chicken on both sides - about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- In the same skillet add onion, garlic, cilantro, broth, black beans, chilies, pepper and juice from ½ lime.
- Heat over medium-high heat until boiling.
- Once rice mixture starts boiling, reduce heat to medium-low.
- Simmer 15 minutes without lifting the lid.
- While mixture is simmering, slice chicken into smaller pieces.
- After 15 minutes, lift up the lid, transfer chicken pieces back to skillet and cook an additional 12-15 minutes until chicken reaches 165 ° and juice of chicken is clear and rice is cooked.
This taco chicken and rice recipe is made with black beans which make it colorful and fresh. Skillet dinners are great because you only dirty one pan while making the meal. I recommend serving this with salsa and avocado slices as it is delicious!
We hope you enjoyed this easy skillet dinner recipe. If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe to the newsletter here.
I share lots of easy recipes and tips, plus a few things that I don’t share here. If you sign up, I will email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner's Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon.
What is your favorite skillet meal?