This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #ZiplocSavesSpace #CollectiveBias
Today, I wanted to share some of my tips for discovering extra storage space in your home. I do a few things that really help make things easier to find and as a result, save me time from having to search for things.
Because we are limited for storage space in our home, I implement a few helpful storage solutions that allow me to free up some extra space and keep only items that are most often used close at hand.
Storage Space Saving Tips
- Closet property is reserved for items that I truly love to wear and use. If it is something I no longer use or wear, it gets donated or recycled. Extra stuff that is not used and stored in the closets and cabinets add to the clutter.
- Each storage space is created and maintained to allow for easy access of items inside. If too many things are stored in one area, it does not help me to have to move stuff around to get to what I need.
- Every three months, I spend 15 minutes to take a cursory look at what is in my clothing closet. Anything that is in need of repair or alterations is taken out and is fixed (if an easy repair) or taken to the tailor to be fixed. Items that are not useable are just taking up valuable space in my closet.
- Twice a year, I store some out of season items from my clothing and linen closets and carefully create storage options in an alternate location. Some of the things I pack up for the winter include: beach towels, lighter blankets and summer clothing. I want to ensure these items are well protected, so I use Ziploc® Space Bags® to keep my belongings safe.
- After winter, I store coats, sweaters, scarves and gloves in other areas to free up space. Since they are airtight and waterproof, they are also great for blankets, comforters and flannel sheets; I don’t have to worry about moths, mildew or odors getting into my stuff.
- Spots such as the back of my coat closet, the garage, and high cabinets also make great storage spaces for items. Note that if you have kids, you will want to keep these bags out of reach from babies and small children.
Look how thin of a space my sweaters take now!
When winter comes around, I will use the bag for my spring and summer items.
I found my Ziploc® Space Bags® in my favorite aisle of my local LOWES store. My favorite aisle? The Home Organization aisle of course!
Do you have any tips on discovering extra storage space in your home? I would love to hear what you do!