Wow it has been a busy week! We have been gearing up for school at work and home so I have not been able to post as much as I’d like. I’ve also been catching up with some reading, and I want to share with you one of the books I found to be very helpful.
As you know, I am a big HGTV fan and I watch shows such as the Property Brothers, Flip or Flop and Love It or List It Too as often as I can. What they do in these shows to older homes inspires me to want to update our home a bit. We have not made any renovations to our home for at least 10 years and have recently made the decision to update in our kitchen.
Quite fortunately, I recently received a copy of Kathi Fleck’s book Renovate, Remodel..Relax! Take Your Home Improvement from How to Wow. Have you heard of it? Kathy Fleck is a veteran in the home-improvement industry. Her new book gives a great perspective on the entire renovation process from getting ideas to ensuring that the contractor has met all of the deliverables. I am really impressed at all the helpful information in this book and if you are going to renovate your home, you might love it too.
The book is a very detailed in describing what to look for in a contractor. Kathi not only gives you a checklist of experience and credentials desired when choosing a good contractor, but also lists some red flags as well. There is also a section on questions to ask your contractor. All that is just the first chapter!
Other chapters include:
- Money Matters – tips on setting a budget and estimating the recoup value of remodeling
- Proposals and Decisions – no I am not talking romance here (although that is a good chapter name isn’t it?) This chapter is all about reviewing the initial proposal, determining timeframes, and permits required.
- The Contract and Workflow – this chapter assists with defining the elements of a contract, determining owner responsibilities, while providing tips for a successful remodel and a pre-construction checklist
- Living in the Midst of a Remodel – offers tips to keep emotions in check, which if you have been through a renovation, you know how crazy it can get!
- Considerations for Bath and Kitchen Remodels – a discussion of bathroom and kitchen considerations, popular styles of features and my favorite – storage considerations!
Saving Research Time
I was really impressed by the amount of detail in this book, while still being an easy read. The chapters are broken down to reasonable chunks of information, so you can use it as a reference throughout the entire process. There are also plenty of photos in the book that I found helpful. If you are looking to renovate, this book gives you all the information that you might spend hours looking for, all in one place. Talk about a timesaver!
You can find Kathi’s book on Amazon (affiliate link).
This was perfect timing for me as we are getting ready to make a few improvements at home and I certainly like the idea of relaxing as we go through it. Have you ever renovated a remodeled your home?