Over the years my family and I have celebrated Valentine’s Day in many ways. Although I love to dine out, typically a Valentine’s evening dinner can mean a special menu with a special price. Which is fine, if that is what you want, but with the kids around there are many ways to celebrate at home with your family.
I wanted to share some of the things my family has done over the years to make Valentine’s day special and many of these do not cost a lot, (some are free):
- Cook dinner together – have the family help pick out the menu and prepare the meal. Add pink items to the menu to make it interesting using food coloring. The photo above is pink oatmeal.
- Play games – make it a family game night or a family movie night. Buy a puzzle and work together as a family to complete it.
- Showtime – have your kids put on a show for you. My kids loved this and would plan the show together while I prepared dinner. Seriously, give them the stage and they will enjoy showcasing their talent. Be sure to record it for future memories.
- Potluck or Party - Invite another family or some friends over and avoid the crowded restaurants by eating in.
- Love Note Scavenger Hunt – leave little clues around the house and send your kids on an indoor scavenger hunt to find a fun treat. Include tasks such as – write a valentine’s to a family member or call a friend and wish them a Happy Valentine’s day so they can share the love.
- Crafts – Have the kids decorate a shoebox or bag to put in all the Valentine’s cards they received from their friends.
- Photo Fun – Bring out the photo albums and videos of you and your husband when you were kids and before you had children of your own. Sharing these memories is a great way to show your love.
What are you doing this Valentine’s Day? Does your family have any Valentine’s Day traditions?
Latest posts by Raquel (Posts)
- Bacon Onion Bourbon Marmalade Recipe from Rick Rodgers - December 20, 2014
- Holiday Shopping at Outlets at Orange - December 19, 2014
- Gift Ideas for Crafters - December 18, 2014