Meatball Soup, also known as Albondigas, is a tasty and hearty meal idea, warming and filling with a little bit of heat. It is a great way to use ground beef, and you can also use ground turkey or chicken if you prefer. I have many memories of eating this since early childhood, at my grandmother’s home.
First you need to prepare the meatballs, which can be made ahead of time and frozen. If you want to know how to make meatballs, I have included my recipe here.
Easy Meatballs Recipe
1 pound ground beef
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon minced onions
1 teaspoon Italian seasoniing
2 teaspoons fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
In mixing bowl, mix together above ingredients. The best way to really combine, is to use your hands. So wash them and get mixing.
Next add Italian seasoning and cilantro and mix together with your hands.
Then roll them up in balls (about 1 1/2″) and place on a cookie sheet.
Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes. While meatballs are baking you can make the soup.
- 12-14 meatballs (see above for recipe}
- 2 48 ounce boxes chicken broth (can use cans if desired)
- 1 28 ounce can whole tomatoes
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- In a large pot over medium heat, saute onions and celery in hot oil until onions are translucent
- Add remaining ingredients except meatballs and bring to a boil.
- Add meatballs and reduce heat. Simmer 15 minutes and serve
Time-saving Cooking Tip
Make the meatballs ahead of time and freeze in an airtight container once they have cooled. You will be able to make a lot of simple meals with them! If you liked this recipe, please consider sharing it by tweeting, pinning or sharing on Facebook, it would make me sooooo happy!