Are you ready for the 2012 Summer Olympics?
They will be here in about 3 weeks! Here are some fun facts about the upcoming games.
- This is the third time that London will be hosting the Olympic games (1908,1948).
- There are two mascots – one for the Olympics (Wenlock) and one for the Paralympics (Mandeville) . They look like Teletubbies a little bit to me.
- 200 Nations will be taking part in the competitions in 31 different venues.
- Queen Elizabeth II will open the games on July 27th.
- Sir Paul McCartney will perform at the Opening Ceremonies.
- London will be really crowed with an estimated 500,000 spectators. I imagine the pubs will be jam packed as well.
- The official logo for the 2012 Olympics cost £400,000. That’s over $800K in U.S. dollars. I am not a graphic artist, but I know some people that could have made one that is at least as good for a lot less. Here is the logo if you have not seen it:
- The next Summer Olympics 2016 will be in Brazil.
- There are some cool Olympic apps that you can download to your smartphone so that you can keep up with the Olympic news and several are free.
- The official website with a calendar of events can be found here.
We will be watching many events, especially swimming and gymnastics. What events does your family follow?
Latest posts by Raquel (Posts)
- Celebrating National Craft Month - March 29, 2015
- Easy Breakfast Sandwich Recipe - March 28, 2015
- Knott’s Boysenberry Festival – A Treat For Your Tastebuds - March 26, 2015